Friday, March 13, 2020

Helena Cowl - Free Crochet Pattern

I received some beautiful hand dyed cotton yarn from my friend Liana at Wearable Personality. I knew I wanted a cotton scarf or cowl right away. I did some Pinterest searches and came across a beautiful stitch pattern from Annie's Attic that I just had to use. This cotton yarn is so soft, and my cowl is perfect for transitioning to spring from the heavy wool scarves and cowls that I use in the winter.

Size:
My finished cowl measures approximately 7.5 inches tall, and 28 inches around.

Materials:
Size H (5 mm) Crochet Hook
Worsted Weight Cotton Yarn #4 (I Love This Cotton) Approximately 150 yards
Scissors
Needle for weaving in ends
Tape Measure – For checking gauge, and length of cowl

Gauge:
16 sts in DC, 8 rows = 4 inches 
Check your gauge and adjust needle size accordingly.

Adjusting the pattern:
This stitch pattern uses a multiple of 12 sts plus 2. I chained 38 for my cowl. You can adjust the number of your starting chain to make your cowl wider or thinner.

This stitch pattern is a 4 row repeat. I made 48 rows total. You can adjust the number of rows that do to make your cowl longer or shorter around.

Abbreviations (US Terms):
CH – Chain
SC – Single Crochet
DC – Double Crochet
TRC – Treble Crochet
V-St – V Stitch (see notes)
CL-St – Cluster Stitch (see notes)
Sl St – Slip Stitch
Sk – Skip
Ch-Sp – Chain Space
St(s) – Stitch(es)

Notes:
CH 4 counts as TRC
CH 3 counts as a DC.
CH 1 does NOT count as a st.
This cowl is worked in rows. Turn at the beginning of each row.
Instructions that are inside parentheses are meant to be worked all in the same stitch, or chain space.
Repeat sections will be noted with * *

Tutorials:
Magic Ring Tutorial: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/459085755768457963/
V-St:  (DC, CH 1, DC) all in the same stitch.
V-Stitch Tutorial: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/459085755768457925/

Special Stitches:
Cluster Stitch (CL-St): 
Yarn over, insert hook and pull up a loop.
Yarn over, draw through 2 loops (2 loops remaining on hook).
Yarn over, insert hook and pull up a loop.
Yarn over, draw through 2 loops (3 loops remaining on hook).
Yarn over, draw through all remaining loops on hook.


Instructions:



CH 38
1. SC in 2nd Ch from hook. *Ch 2, sk the next 2 starting Ch, V-st in the next Ch. Ch 2, sk the next 2 starting Ch, SC in the next Ch.* Repeat * * across. (6 total V-sts)

2. CH 4 (counts as TRC), turn. *In next V-st Ch-Sp (CL-St, Ch 1, CL-St, Ch 1, CL-St). Ch 1* Repeat * *, working in each V-st Ch-Sp across until the last V-st. In the last V-st Ch-Sp, (CL-St, Ch 1, CL-St, Ch 1, CL-St). TRC in last SC in row. (18 total CL-Sts)

3. CH 1, turn. SC in same st as turning Ch. *Ch 1, SC in next Ch-Sp.* Repeat * * across. SC in top of Ch 4 from previous row. (19 total SCs)

4. CH 3 (counts as DC), turn. DC in next Ch-Sp. *Ch 1, DC in next Ch-Sp.* Repeat * * across. DC in last SC. (19 DCs, 1 CH 3 which counts as a DC. 20 total)

5. CH 1, turn. SC in same st as turning Ch. *Ch 2, Sk 1 DC and 1 CH, V-st in the next DC. Ch 2, Sk 1 CH and 1 DC, SC in the next Ch-Sp.* Repeat * * across, but make your final SC into the top of the Ch 3 from the previous row. (6 total V-sts)

Repeat rows 2-5 until desired length. I did 48 rows total.

Finishing:
Sl st ends of cowl together to form a loop.
Weave in any remaining ends.

 

I would love to see your Helena Cowls! Tag me on Instagram  @craftsbysarahliz so I can see your work!

I hope you enjoy my pattern. Your support of my small business is truly appreciated!


*Permissions*
- You are free to sell what you make from this pattern. I would appreciate links back to my blog, Ravelry, or Etsy shop to credit me as the designer.
- You may not use my photos.
- You may not sell this pattern or any part of this pattern, distribute it, or claim it as your own.

© 2020 Sarah Gross - Crafts by Sarah Liz


No comments:

Post a Comment