Monday, May 8, 2017

Lacy Baby Headband - Free Knitting Pattern



I first opened up my Etsy shop with some baby headbands and booties. The headbands were a little knitting pattern I developed in my own head. I feel like it is time to write it down and share it with you. See pattern below, or you can download a pdf version on my Ravelry store HERE.

-Materials
Size 3 knitting needles
Worsted Weight yarn (I used Caron Simply Soft)
Scissors
Needle for weaving in ends

-Abbreviations
CO - cast on
RS - right side
WS - wrong side
K - knit
P - purl
YO -yarn over
K2TOG - knit 2 together
BO - bind off

-Gauge
20 sts, 44 rows, garter stitch = 4"

-Sizes
Instructions are for 0-3 months with (3-6 months, 6-9 months) in parenthesis.

-Pattern
Using thumb method, CO 72 (80, 88) sts.
Row 1. WS - Knit across
Row 2. RS - Knit across
Row 3. WS - K 2 sts, *yo, k2tog*. Repeat * * until 2 sts from the end. K 2 sts.
Row 4. RS - Knit across
Row 5. WS - K 1 st, *yo, k2tog*. Repeat * * until 1 st from the end. K 1 st.
Row 6. RS - Knit across
Row 7. WS - K 2 sts, *yo, k2tog*. Repeat * * until 2 sts from the end. K 2 sts.
Row 8. RS - Knit across
Row 9. WS - Knit across
Row 10. RS - BO using a loose bind off or you can use the alternate bind off below
Alternate Bind Off - Elizabeth Zimmermann's sewn bind off HERE.

-Finishing
Using needle, sew ends together. Attach your favorite flower or bow at the seam to help hide where you sewed it together. See below for my favorite flower pattern to go with this headband.

-Crochet Flower Pattern
I modified a version of this pattern HERE

Using G hook (4mm)
Ch 4 (Magic circle does not work with this flower pattern)
Sl st in 1st chain to form a circle
Prep: Ch 1
Round 1. *Ch 3, sc in circle* Repeat 3 more times (you will have 4 loops at this point). Ch 3, sl st into Ch 1 in prep round (now you have 5 loops)
Round 2. In first ch 3 loop, (sc, ch 1, 3dc, ch 1, sc). Repeat in the rest of the loops. Join to the first sc of the first petal.
Round 3. Fold the petals toward yourself so you can work behind them to make the next layer of the flower. Still working in the circle made from the ch 4 at the beginning, *sc, ch 4*. Repeat 3 more times (you will have 4 loops at this point). Ch 4, sl st to first sc. (now you have 5 loops)
Round 4. In the first ch 4 loop, (sc, hdc, dc, 3 tr, dc, hdc, sc). Repeat in each ch 4 loop around. Join with sl st to the first sc of the first petal of the round. Cut yarn leaving a long tail for sewing to headband.

-Finishing
Sew a pretty button in the center of your flower. Sew the flower to the headband, weaving in any remaining ends.

I would love to see your headbands! Tag me on instagram @craftsbysarahliz so I can see your work!


*Permissions*
- You are free to sell what you make from this pattern. I would appreciate links back to my blog to credit me as the designer.
- You may not use my photos
- You may not sell this pattern or claim it as your own

© Sarah Gross - Crafts by Sarah Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment