Thursday, April 27, 2017

Daisy Baby Bib - Free Crochet Pattern

When my drool monster, er, I mean, when my sweet precious baby started teething, inspiration struck for this drool bib pattern. It turned out so pretty that I just have to share it with you.

-Materials
Cotton yarn (I used Lily Sugar and Cream Cotton in Yellow, White, and Country Green)
G hook (4mm)
Needle for weaving in ends
Scissors

-Gauge
My hook size and tension make the bib about 6 inches wide and 5 inches tall (not including the ties). I do have a tight tension so you may want to adjust your hook size.

-Abbreviations
Ch - Chain
Sc - Single Crochet
Sc decrease - Single Crochet Decrease
Sl st - Slip Stitch
RS - Right Side
WS - Wrong Side
St(s) - Stitch(es)


For a free PDF version of this pattern, visit my Ravelry listing HERE.

-Pattern
Ch 15
1. Sc in 2nd chain from hook, and in the next 13 ch. (14 sts)
2. Ch 1, turn, 2sc, sc in next 12, 2sc
3. Ch 1, turn, 2sc, sc in next 14, 2sc
4. Ch 1, turn, 2sc, sc in next 16, 2sc
5. Ch 1, turn, 2sc, sc in next 18, 2sc
6. Ch 1, turn, 2sc, sc in next 20, 2sc
7-14. Ch 1, turn, sc across
15. Ch 1, turn, sc decrease, sc in next 20, sc decrease
16. Ch 1, turn, sc decrease, sc in next 18, sc decrease
17. Ch 1, turn, sc decrease, sc in next 16, sc decrease
18. Ch 1, turn, sc decrease, sc in next 14, sc decrease

Now working on the shoulders
1. Ch 1, turn, sc decrease, sc, sc decrease, leave remaining stitches, chain 1, turn.
2. Ch 1, turn, sc decrease, sc
3. Ch 1, turn, sc decrease

Other shoulder, sl st in 5th st from the end,
1. Ch 1, sc decrease, sc, sc decrease
2. Ch 1, turn, sc, sc decrease
3. Ch 1, turn, sc decrease

Border
With the RS facing, start at the neck of the bib. Sc along the edge and up the edge of the shoulder. When you get to the top of the shoulder, ch 45, sl st back down, making one of the ties.Sc 3 more sts along the outside of the bib. Now start your shell pattern around the sides and bottom of the bib.

*Shell Pattern*
(Sc, dc, sc) in stitch, sl st in next 2 sts

Continue shell pattern until you reach the beginning of the shoulder on the other side of the bib. Sc along the edge of the shoulder. When you get to the top of the shoulder, ch 45, sl st back down, making the second tie. Continue to sc along the edge until you get back to where you started. Join to first sc. Cut off yarn and weave in remaining ends.

Daisy and Leaf Patterns

-Flower
Magic circle, sc 6 sts in the circle, pull tight and join.
Ch 1, 3dc in same st as join, ch 1, sl st in same st. 1 petal made
*Sl st into next st, ch 1, 3dc in same st, ch 1, sl st in same st.*
Repeat * * until you have 6 petals. Cut yarn leaving a long tail.

-Leaf (make 2)
Ch 6
Sc in 2nd ch from hook. Hdc in next, dc in next, hdc in next, sc in last. Cut yarn leaving a long tail to stitch leaf onto flower. Repeat for 2nd leaf.

Finishing
Stitch both leaves onto the back of the daisy. Use the yarn tail on the daisy to sew the whole flower to the bib.

I would love to see your bibs! Tag me on instagram @craftsbysarahliz so I can see your work!


*Permissions*
- You are free to sell what you make from this pattern. I would appreciate links back to my blog to credit me as the designer.
- You may not use my photos
- You may not sell this pattern or claim it as your own

© Sarah Gross - Crafts by Sarah Liz

10 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah! Super cute bible! I'm starting one now, but I have a quick question. For row 2, are you working into that first stitch (leaving an unworked stitch at the end of the row) or are you skipping that stitch and doing the 2 sc in the second stitch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Starting at row 2, you will be starting in the first stitch. You will not be skipping any stitches. Hope that helps!

      Delete
  2. I'm still ending with an unworked stitch at the end of row 2...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So after row 1, you have 14 sts. For row 2, you will work 2sc into the first st, 1sc in the next 12, and 2sc into the last st.

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness! I see that now. I'm such a dork! Lol! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your little bib is fantastic! Mine isn't looking like that so far. I'm having problems. When u finish 1st shoulder do you cut off yarn before you ss for 2nd shoulder? Also do you cut off yarn at end of 2nd shoulder - maybe I'm just dense I just don't understand. As well when you start border I don't understand when you say "start at the neck of the bib. Sc along the edge and up the edge of the shoulder." do you start at the edge of the shoulder & go up then ch 45 or do you start in the middle of the neck & go across then up the shoulder - I'm just confused - not sure how to read this. sorry about that! Many tks for any assistance you can give me to clarify this "block" I hv.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello,

      Yes, you cut the yarn after the 1st shoulder and the 2nd shoulder. For the border, you only ch 45 for the strap once you get to the top of one of the shoulders. I hope this helps you.

      Delete
  5. Tk u but still having problem with the Border. Don't understand "start at the neck - sc along the edge and up the edge of shoulder" Do u start at edge of shoulder & go straight up or do you start in center between shoulders - confused where to start - sorry about that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I start in the middle between the shoulders.

    ReplyDelete