Thursday, August 26, 2021

Lining Crochet Projects with Fabric Tutorial

I love to add fabric lining to my purses and wallets that I crochet. It adds structure and a special touch. I have had people ask for a tutorial so I used my new Summer Fun Clutch crochet pattern for the example. This method will work for most purses, depending on the shape. I like to use plain white cotton fabric. You don't need a super fancy sewing machine for this. In fact, I am still using the one that I got for my birthday when I was 14! I won't tell you my exact age now, but let's just say that my old sewing machine has seen more than a decade (close to 2!) of use and still gets the job done.

 

Step 1: Using 2 layers of chosen fabric, trace around the bottom and sides of the clutch. Add 1-2 inches of extra fabric at the top. Cut around trace marks.

 

Step 2: Using straight stitch, stitch through both layers along the sides and bottom about ¼ inch from the edge.

Step 3: Then, using zig-zag stitch, stitch along the sides and bottom to capture the edges to prevent fraying.

 


Step 4: Now zig zag stitch around the top edge (Do NOT go through both layers. This is the top opening for the lining.)

Step 5: Fold the top edge down on the outside, and iron flat. All the raw edges should be on the outside of the lining. The inside should have no raw edges.

 

Step 6: Insert lining into clutch, and hand stitch the top along the edge of the top of the clutch, catching both the lining and the clutch in the stitches.


Tip: I also put a couple of stitches along the bottom corners of the clutch to help keep the bottom of the lining in place.

Voila! Now you have a lovely fabric lining and you don't have to worry about your personal items falling out of the bottom of your purse. I hope you find this tutorial helpful. Feel free to comment or email me to let me know how it turned out.

Happy Sewing!
~Sarah Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment