Monday, January 29, 2018

Sweet Potato Hash

I have a confession to make. I do not like sweet potatoes! Every Thanksgiving and Christmas there would be either sweet potatoes or yams. I could not bring myself to eat them. As an adult now, I have found that if I have to eat sweet potatoes, I prefer my sweet potatoes to be cooked as a savory dish, not a "sweet" dish. Now, even though I do not like sweet potatoes, I have actually found a dish where I LOVE sweet potatoes! Shocking!


I have been on a recent health kick, and have been doing a low-carb lifestyle. Therefore my preferred starchy potatoes are out, and healthier sweet potatoes are in. I was making a smoked sausage and potato hash for the kids (and the hubby), so I decided to cook my sweet potatoes just like their starchy ones and make a hash of my own. I was not sure if I was going to like it, but I ended up absolutely loving it! I made it again the next day (minus the smoked sausage) and it was just as good. So here I am sharing it with all of you because even if you do not like sweet potatoes, you may just like this sweet potato hash like I do.

**Ingredients**
(This is for a multiple serving hash. I cut these in half for a serving just for me.)
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Onion, diced
1 Green Bell Pepper, diced
2 Sweet Potatoes, peeled and diced
1 lb Turkey Smoked Sausage, diced
Big handful of Spinach
Salt
Pepper
Season Salt (optional)

**Directions**
In a large frying pan over medium low heat, heat olive oil. Saute onions and peppers in olive oil with salt and pepper. Saute until soft, this should take a few minutes. Remove the onions and peppers from the pan. Add a little more olive oil. Add diced sweet potatoes. Add salt, pepper, and season salt (optional). Fry in pan until brown. Only stir occasionally, otherwise they will not brown well. When golden brown, add onions and peppers back in. Add sausage. Cook for a few minutes. Add spinach. Saute until spinach is wilted, this only takes a minute or two. Remove from heat and serve immediately.


The lesson I have learned with sweet potatoes is that I should not be afraid to try different things. Maybe I will start experimenting with other foods that I thought I did not like and end up finding amazing new recipes. I would love to know your thoughts, drop a comment below!

Happy Cooking!
~Sarah Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment