Monday, March 20, 2017

An Accidental Amateur Photographer

Photo: Sarah Gross
I stumbled into photography. Seriously, I stumbled. Prior to 2014, my photos consisted of vacation photos, snapshots of my son, and the occasional selfie. And I am sad to say that the quality of the photos was not good. They were blurry, filled with shadows, generally not very appealing to the eye.

Then I opened my Etsy shop in the summer of 2013. I started realizing how much photography aided or hindered my business. I did not have a good camera. My cell phone did not have a good quality camera either. So in 2014, I took the plunge and purchased a DSLR camera. My world changed. Even though I was (and still am) a novice with this kind of equipment, my photos look so much better. The detail I was able to capture blew me away. Suddenly my photos in my shop actually looked good! I still cringe when I look at the photos that I used then compared to the ones I use now.

My first attempt at product photos
A much better product photo


Although the majority of my work is with product photography, I love taking photos of my 3 children. I have a lot still to learn about photography, but I will be sharing what I have learned so far. I hope you can learn from my cringe-worthy mistakes, and get better photos than I did starting out. Here's my #1 tip that helped me the most.

Use Natural Lighting!!!

The first photo baby booties photo was taken inside, at night, and with the flash on. Fellow photographers may now groan or cringe at hearing this. The best starting advice I can give is to set yourself up with some great natural light. I highly suggest shooting during the day, and using indirect sunlight. I usually set up near a window in the morning light. It is a lot easier to get quality photos if you can start out with some quality lighting.

In the coming weeks, I will be sharing some more tips for things that I had to learn the hard way. I will also introduce you to my on-call models, my three children, and the fun and difficulties that they bring.

Happy Photographing!
~Sarah Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment