Saturday, June 13, 2015

Learning to Crochet - One of 2 New Obsessions

    This is the story of how I went stir crazy. It was September 2012. I had just gone on Maternity Leave from my full-time office job. I was in full-on nesting mode. The nursery was ready, tiny baby clothes were folded, my freezer was stocked with meals. I was ready. And I still had 2 weeks to go until my due date!

   Enter the crochet hook. I already knew how to knit (you can see the post of how that started here: Knitting - So Much More Than a Hobby). But I had already knitted my baby boy quite a few baby hats. I needed to do something. So I went to the craft store, bought a set of crochet hooks and crochet book (this one here: A to Z of Crochet), and jumped right in.

   It's a good thing I started this new craft obsession, because my due date came and went with ZERO indication from my son that he was ready to meet us. I decided to make a blanket I saw my friend making at our weekly knitting/crocheting nights. I didn't finish it before having to go to the hospital to be induced, so I actually took it with me and worked on it while in early labor. I finished it shortly after he was born.
(In the hospital. --- Photo Credit: Cheryl Schlegel)

(Just a few days old. --- Photo Credit: Cheryl Schlegel)

   Thus was born my 2 new obsessions. My son and crochet. 
   My knitting background helped immensely in learning to crochet, and I often combine the 2 in my products.
(You can buy these headbands here: Off White Headband, Lavender Baby Headband)

   My crochet journey has taken off. There is no going back. I look forward to continuing to develop and create, and share my journey and creations with you.

~Sarah Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment