Monday, July 17, 2017

Itty Bitty Bow Headband - Pattern and Video Tutorial


So many of my crocheting friends have asked me how I make my Itty Bitty Bow Headbands. While the pattern itself is super simple, the construction and sewing of the bow is hard for me to explain, even with the photo tutorial below. So I decided to make my very first pattern video. I would love to know what you think!


P.S. Pay no attention to my kids shouting in the background. They were fighting about tortilla chips, naturally.

Materials:
F hook (3.75 mm)
Yarn of choice (I use Caron Simply Soft)
Scissors
Needle for weaving in ends
Nylon headband (see tutorial below to make your own from a pair of tights)

Abbreviations:
Ch - chain
Sl st - slip stitch

Written Instructions:
With F hook, chain 30
Sl st in 2nd ch from hook, and in each remaining ch. (29 sl sts)
Cut yarn, leaving 6 inches for sewing bow

Make a bow by folding ends over and crossing over the middle. Use needle to weave the yarn through and wrap around the middle of the bow and the nylon headband. For a better description of how to sew the bow together, see video above.

Photo Tutorial:

With F hook, chain 30

Slip stitch in 2nd chain from hook, and in each remaining chain. (29 slip stitches)

Fold right side over and cross over the middle to form one loop.

Cross left side over to form the other loop.

Use the short end to tack the bow in place.


Use the long end to wrap around the middle of the bow AND the nylon headband. Wrap around for a total of 6 wraps.
Knot the ends in the back. Weave in ends, and cut the remaining tails.

Nylon Headband Tutorial:
I learned how to turn tights into nylon headbands using this tutorial on Pinterest. The short of it is to cut a piece of nylon from the thighs of the tights approximately 1 1/2 inches wide. Use your thumbs to stretch the piece out and let the nylon roll up on itself. It will create a small headband that is super stretchy and perfect for growing with baby's head.



I would love to have your feedback and to see your Itty Bitty Bow Headbands. Tag me on instagram @craftsbysarahliz so I can see your work!

The Itty Bitty Bow Headbands are also available for purchase on my Etsy shop.

*Permissions*
- You are free to sell what you make from this pattern. I would appreciate links back to my blog to credit me as the designer.
- You may not use my photos
- You may not use my videos
- You may not sell this pattern or its photos or videos or claim it as your own

© Sarah Gross - Crafts by Sarah Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment